MYFF Closing Down - Where Does the ATF Go?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

MYFF Closing Down - Where Does the ATF Go?

Post by DaveCov on Tue 21 Mar 2017 - 21:43

When logging on today I noticed an "IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT" link on the forum. It goes to [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and says:
It is with deep regret that I have to announce that I will be closing the forums system at the end of June.

The facts are stark, the rise of social media has meant that myff has long ceased to be a viable business.

We are now facing rising costs, aging infrastructure and the need to make everything work of https to avoid another decline in what is already a dead duck anyway.

I love forums and the advantages they offer over facebook, and I hate to let down the thousands of people who still feel the same way.

But in the end the facts can't be denied and we either exercise a graceful shutdown with advance warning (and I will make forum exports available for a token donation or free to those who have paid for advert free) or we will soon find that things break and can't practically be fixed.

I can only offer my sincerest apology for the pain I know this will cause, It has been a pleasure to have helped create so many little communities over a stretch of more than ten years.
This comes as a big shock and leaves us in a huge mess and we have to try and find a new host for our forum. At least we can get a free export of our forum but we will need to sort out a lot of things.

Steps we need to take:

a. shut down forum - I suggest we have an end date of 31st May with the forum locking it's doors to everybody. By doing this before the forum hosts shut us down, we can leave update messages for everyone to read at the top of the forum pages.

b. get export of forum on 1st June

c. set up new forum with new hosts

d. reopen ATF as soon as possible afterwards

This is bit of a disaster for us but hopefully we can get through it.

Dave
DaveCov
ATF Founder
ATF Founder

http://forum.airfixtributeforum.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: MYFF Closing Down - Where Does the ATF Go?

Post by DaveCov on Tue 21 Mar 2017 - 21:46

I don't invisage any problems with the transfer although there may well be a lot of work required on the new forum before it goes live. I have already found a host who will do the importing of the current forum when we create the new forum with them.

As was explained in the first line of the quote above, the hosts are withdrawing forum services at the end of June. I will probably organise an export of the forum database towards the end of May. This will take a snapshot of the forum on that day and will be imported into the new forum as soon as possible.

We may well keep this forum open during the import/export phase although members should note that any posts made after the date of the export will not show up in the new forum. This might be a bit inconvenient for some of you so you may well wish to leave some of your postings until after the move. Leaving the old forum open will allow us to keep you fully informed at all times about what is going on, rather than just shutting up shop and leaving you with no idea when the new forum starts up.

Dave
DaveCov
ATF Founder
ATF Founder

http://forum.airfixtributeforum.co.uk

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top